Sclerotherapy is an effective treatment for spider and leg veins. Sclerotherapy is well-tolerated injection of a solution which causes irritation to the vein and eventually disappears.
What to Expect
- An ultrasound may be ordered before the procedure depending on veins involved.
- Bruising can occur at the site of injection.
- Improvement can be seen as early as the first session but typically 3-4 sessions are required over 8 week intervals.
- Compression stockings are worn immediately after the procedure and for the next month.
- The fall and winter is the best time for sclerotherapy since compression stockings must be worn.