Everyone loses hair. It’s normal to lose about 50-100 hairs daily, however over 80 million Americans will experience some degree of hair loss. Hair loss is not created equal and a thorough history and examination by our board-certified dermatologist will determine what type of hair loss you have.
What to Expect
- The most common type of hair loss is androgenetic alopecia or pattern-hair loss in both men and women. It is estimated by the age of 35, two third of American men experience a degree of noticeable hair thinning and by the age of 50, approximately 85% of men have significant hair loss. While not commonly discussed, women also experience pattern-hair loss with approximately half of women by the age of 50.
- We may perform further laboratory testing and a skin biopsy if appropriate.
- After a work-up, we create a comprehensive treatment plan a combination of topical and oral medications and supplements.
- Hair growth is patiently slow and steady with approximately 0.5 inches per month so evaluating improvement can takes 3 months or more.
- Cortisol Injections: Series of anti-inflammatory cortisol injections decrease inflammation in certain hair loss conditions where inflammation is the key driver of hair loss.
- PRP (Platelet-rich plasma): Regarded as “natural hair restoration” since it uses a high concentration of platelet and protein-rich therapy from the patient’s own blood which repair, rejuvenate, and control hair growth cycles, stimulating dormant hair follicles and hair growth. Treatments demonstrate a gradual improvement as early as two months but usually more noticeable at 5-12 months.